View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 23:09   #1
willbbooks
Asset

Diversity of languages in an ODA

I’m familiar with the fact that different SFG’s have different (sometimes overlapping) languages that they focus on, and that individual Quiet Professionals are assigned there languages according to the “needs of the army.”

However, I’m curious as to how diverse the languages can get in a typical ODA. Does the typical ODA know, between all its team members, every language that it’s assigned SFG specializes in? For instance, is every ODA in the 10th SFG essentially guaranteed to have at least one speaker of Russian, German, Arabic, and French (plus possible extras)?

I’m also interested in hearing any interesting anecdotes any of you might have concerning the most talented linguists you ever met or knew while actively serving with the SF. Did you ever meet anyone that simply blew you away with the amount of languages they knew or the efficiency with which they learned a new language? Do most guys in the SF community typically just stick to their assigned languages?

Thank you for your responses and anecdotes in advance. I’m learning so much reading through these forum threads.
willbbooks is offline   Reply With Quote