View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 07:37   #12
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Well, IMHO, it's just not the engagement of technical, upper edge weapons/systems. As we all know it's the employment of said weapons that takes some know-how. Also, base defense plans, SUT, care and maintenance as previously stated etc, etc.

We need to teach the LBG's 7-8 (or whatever FM now a days stuff).

When I went through PH1 in 82, we did "SF Patrolling" techniques, unique to an ODA, but when down range, conventional stuff for them.

There is a delineation of said tactics...one for us, one for them...
I agree, 100%. It's not just about know how to do a functions check on a weapon, knowing 7 principles of patrolling, or understand the fundamentals of shooting. It's know all of your MOS and then the others on your ODA in reality (IMHO).

I personally feel that USASFC needs to have the Groups set up POIs that the Groups send to USASOC to have them "blessed" off on by USASOC FDO. Then USASOC FDO or USASFC uploads them onto SIPR in a Group Folders that only that Group can get too. Each Group teaches their own basic style of say SUT, CQB, ETC to their AOR. This is so we don't have ODAs out there teaching standard 7-8 TTPs. We need each Group teaching different TTPs on every SUT, CQB, MFF, WIC. Why, cross pollination and training indicators between different Groups and countries. Also I'll just say this, you will not have some ODA teaching US AMOUT or SFAUCC TTPs to foreign nations forces.

I'll say this, I never let 18-Bravos teach 3 to 5 second rushes. I said, let them do what they want. I looked at it this way, I want a target if they table ever change and we are on the other end of the rifle. Just saying.

I would always try to beat this into guys heads when they came to me for advice for going on a PDSS for a JCET or CNT. "Hey what should I be looking for?" May advice was this.

You are going there for the Dept of State to make that Countries SOF Unit, Police Force, Counter Border Patrol Unit, Whatever units better. YOU ARE not teaching an American Unit. So don't think like an American. Find out what THEIR Standards are for weapons qualification, what the leadership considers or expects for their men to be able to do for CQB. How do they conduct SUT, CQB Room clearing, mission planning. You are their to find out what the leaderships expectation for their men in THEIR Unit. From that and seeing the facilities in country you will have to make a Training plan.

To many ODAs go into country thinking they will teach this or that. We are their to take what they know NOW or ALREADY and make them better.

Lastly I will say this, there are some that do need to be retaught or refresh their engagement of technical, upper edge weapons/systems too.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote