View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 15:20   #2
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Welcome back to an old device called "Otto Clotto", a C-clamp style device we used on the heart surgical service when removing an intraaortic balloon pump or ventricular assist device cannula in the femoral artery.
Seems like a high profile but not having it in my hand I can't exactly tell. The concept of truncal or axial bleeding ( junctional is a new term someone dreamed up recently) control is not new and the idea of using combat gauze/packing and direct manual pressure isn't new just difficult when you need your hands for other things like defending yourself. Having a self retaining device to hold pressure has a place but I'm going to guess that the placement of his isn't common sense and requires significant training, ie the average soldier will not be adequately trained to appropriately apply this device.
Why have we not brought back the pelvic component of the MAST suit which anyone can apply and inflate, just put one or two gel pads in the anatomically correct position over the femoral area and inflate the MAST and You get compression of superficial and common femoral arteries.
Seems like the Jett should work but field trials will tell the whole story, sorry but I'm skeptical. Will wait to see what medical literature and field use show until I would endorse this device........being a trauma surgeon and SWAT tactical medical provider I would use something like this except I won't at the point of injury but might in a warm zone where I would have left my bigger pack with secondary resources and equipment.
Good luck and keep us informed

Ss

Forgot to add: need to spell hemorrhage correctly
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)

Last edited by swatsurgeon; 01-16-2013 at 15:29.
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote