View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 17:44   #5
Habu-MFFI 175
Quiet Professional

Smile UPDATE

Friday the 24th F.I.S.H. held their fifth "Warriors Hit the Pier," event at the Sea View Pier in N. Topsail Beach, NC. It was our first event with members of the Warriors in Transition unit from Ft. Bragg. It was an awesome Carolina blue sky day weather wise. Our HEROES arrived a little later then expected but were greeted enthusiastically none the less by a group of 10 volunteers including F.I.S.H. Chairman Richard Phelps and his wife, plus F.I.S.H. Board members Scott Hobbs and John McDow.

In addition, three local ladies from Sneads Ferry and a local business owner from Sneads Ferry were there to greet the HEROES. Patricia Stevens, Ruth Downing and Harriet Torres brought snack bags filled with baked goods and candies for our HEROES and Gerome aka "Dr. Root Beer" Gunz from Dr. Root Beer's Hall of Foam brought over 36 bottles of root beer for our HEROES.

In addition to the goodie bags, each HERO got a tackle bag containing a Quantam Bill Dance baitcasting reel, sunglasses, knife, Princeton E-Tec light, multiple bags of assorted soft plastic baits, two hats, fish towel and a Shakespeare 6'6" baitcasting rod all compliments of F.I.S.H. and donors.

Our Chairman did a great job on the weather but he failed a little bit on his order of fish, however; enough were caught to make everyone happy. We had a really nice school of blues come thru about 11:30 and it was a frenzy resulting in one pier patron catching three at one time. Lots of pinfish were caught resulting in a contest with one soldier and another having a contest to see who could catch the most. A few Spanish Mackeral and a Pompano or two were caught.

Too soon 1600 hours (4:00pm for civilians) came and the HEROES had to get underway on their two and half hour journey back to Ft. Bragg. Handshakes were exchanged and thanks from our HEROES for a great day were given to our volunteers and our volunteers thanked them again for their service to our Country. Our HEROES boarded their bus and van with fish, gifts, root beers but more importantly each had a smile on their face and the gratitude of a small group of proud Americans for their service.