View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 21:41   #146
JYD73
Asset

Thanks BMT for the links, both here and on the other post. Some I had found, and some I had not. I have been pouring over them. The paper http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1823.pdf by Richard H Shultz, Jr. particularly outlines the roots of the misunderstanding of SOG by the Chain of Command and the frustrations the warriors of SOG must have experienced in dealing with them. Myself and others feel this misunderstanding of SOG was one reason so many medals and awards were downgraded, the conventional elements of the military simply had no idea who you were and what you were doing.

One thing I had to do for the effort I am working on is confirm what I’ve been told about the original AARs of SOG, to a level at which it could be specifically cited. Sadly, I can now cite the original AARs are gone. Any references to actual missions are going to be in the SOG Command Histories and MACSOG weekly reports to CINCPAC. The first are only declassed in parts and the latter have not been seen since the war. Both would only have summaries, and lack most detail. I do now know, that what I am looking for is in Annex B of the 1970 MACSOG Command History, and of course it is in the pages that have not been declassed. But it would only be a summary.

The mission I am researching was one of approximately 200 platoon sized Prairie Fire Exploitation Force missions conducted during the war, resulting in contact with what is reported to be elements of the 66th NVA Regiment(unconfirmed), an Arc-light of the area, and follow-up BDA by RT Washington. RT Washington was also hit hard on the BDA that followed (with the loss of Sgt. George Curtis Green).

Using the information gained I have been able to locate the area of action of the Exploitation Force action to within a 15 square km area (around grid 48PYB6449). The Army wants maps and diagrams so I was able to provide a map of the area and make diagrams from original witness statements. I’m also working with interpreting some of the DoD Regs and US Code that would concern this effort, but that is another matter.

So thank you again, and I am listening to anything you all can tell me. I am particularly interested in any information of the early December 2-5? 1970 mission of RT Washington and what they found on the BDA. I would very much like to confirm what the exploitation force had encountered just before RT Washington.
JYD73 is offline   Reply With Quote