Thread: Joining SF
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 15:35   #9
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
ballet dancers...
I've known two guys who were professional dancers (ballet... not pole) before coming into the Army & SF. One was on my team as an 18C. One was a Warrant in my battalion. Rock solid SF hard rucking troops and very gifted athletes.

Go figure.

It was always interesting to me to dig deep and find out what guys had done somewhere else, either elsewhere in the military or in civilian life. The answers (and skills) sometimes proved invaluable.

Especially so in Reserve or Guard SF units. Simply amazing professional or educational backgrounds. CEOs, PhDs, police chiefs, mayors, doctors, civil engineers, certified tradesmen, IT techs, pilots, financiers, lawyers, shooting school operators, realtors, political consultants, FAA mechanics, oil field geologist, dive shop owner, deep sea fishing boat captain, and a hundred other occupations. Also a lot of LEO backgrounds (Air Marshals, FBI, ATF, Gang Units, SWAT, Undercover Narcotics, etc.).

I've known guys on AD ODAs with backgrounds in missiles, armor, wheeled transport, aviation, medical, and more.

Sometimes, in certain times & places, that one guy might hold the keys to the mission kingdom simply because he possessed some esoteric knowledge or had a unique non-SF skill. At the very least, such backgrounds occasionally enabled a guy to employ a believable cover story.

Last edited by Astronomy; 03-22-2018 at 09:27.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote