View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 09:35   #6
koz
Quiet Professional

Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis has had a group buy going on for the last two years and done over 2500 rifles. LINK Chad uses a vertical CNC machine which allows him to do so many. Link to their site

Bolt & Action Truing (Blueprinting),
Machined heavy lug (but you may just want a lighter Remington lug that is ground down
threaded bolt handle with knob
fluted bolt
rebore scope base threads
chamber & install barrel
thread muzzle
Cerakote and return shipping. All for $760.

He's on a 6 week return schedule. I've had three rifles done by Chad and they shoot every bit as good as the gun I got from Surgeon rifles. The Navy sent Chad their Mk13's when they wouldn't shoot and he's also built guns for some the Olympic competition shooters.

Chad (or most gunsmiths) can pin your recoil lug so you can make a switch barrel. I have a rifle that has a 308, 6mmCreedmoor, 6.5 Creemoor and a 7-08 barrel. Switching only takes about 5-7min. You could go with a #3 contour barrel for hunting (the barrel will still get you out to the 1000m you want, but only allow you a couple shots until you need to let it cool) and then a Rem Varmint or M24 contour for times you want more shots downrange.

As PZ3 mentioned, Phoenix Rifles does good work. Another is Mark Gordon / Short Action Customs.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote