Thread: Favorite boots
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 06:34   #68
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Boots, you guys had boots. Next you are going to tell me that you had plastic canteens and a light weight, collapsible entrenching tool.

Actually the best boots for me in the warm months were the old green jungle boots as long as you pulled out the inner sole desiged to give you blisters but intended to protect you from punji stakes.

Had several pairs of Chippewas which were fine as long as they were dry and the weather stayed above freezing, other wise they were too stiff but the felt insoles were good for using as a coaster to put down your metal canteen cup on the ice so it didn't freeze right away.

Best overall boots were my German Mountain Boots for all around temperate zone stuff.

GSG-9 boots were the most comfortable and most versital for all the urban stuff.

The most comfortable were a pair of German Bergsteig's which I wore while in mufti situations.

Also have a couple of pairs of experimental boots that the Army did not want to adopt because they were too practical, too expensive, wore well, were extremely comfortable, warm, waterproof, light weight, durable in all types of terrain and just too damn good for the troops. After 20 years they have stood up to everything and are indestructable. Wear them all the time now.

Jack Moroney-kept my boots laced tight so they didn't come lose when extracting them from someone's 4th POC