Thread: GSW to chest
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 12:31   #3
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Initial thoughts from pic and stats:
BP is low due to loss.
Minimal involvement of pulmonary and cardiac systems - SO2 still good, HR still good.
Based on photos - bleeding is well under initial control - internal loss hard to determine.
Looks as though a single large bore is set on non affected side - clear fluids - therefore a second needs set, for packed cells if available, and SO2 reduces.
concerns based on the 2 visible entry wounds - Humeral and shoulder involvement - possibly brachial nerve, artery and vein involvement.
Proximity to pulmonary cavity gives rise to throbocytic secondary involvement.
Initial films - full upper thoracic and L extremity series (ortho involvement, location of projectiles)
Start GSW ABX therapy as proescribed by local guidelines (not sure if this is civ or Mil)
Labs - CBC, Tox, SO2, Sed
Currnt concerns are pulmonary involvement with traumatic/projectile tamponade - same for major vessel involvement. Ortho involvement in both shoulder and upper L extremity.

without seeing and touching it's a tough call.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote