Thread: Drive
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 22:48   #5
Penn
Area Commander

An exceptional example of resilience

Eight years ago, I was living in a cold garage, eating food out of a shoe box.

Seven years ago, I was placed in foster care.

Six years ago, I was searching for stability and acceptance in a new home and school.

Five years ago, I moved for the 16th time and to my fifth school district.

Four years ago, I was accepted into St. John’s University, with little social and cultural capital, but with great ambition to succeed.

Three years ago, I became the founder and president of the First-Generation Organization, and spent my summer in China researching a cure for Tuberculosis.

Two years ago, I pioneered through St. John’s as its first neuroscience major. I traveled to the Dominican Republic for mission work and led a research project at the local emergency department, guiding 30 students through clinical research.

One year ago, I reached 1,500 hours of volunteerism, was awarded Saint John’s Man of Extraordinary Service, traveled to Costa Rica for medical mission work, and volunteered my summer to research Alzheimer’s Disease.

Today, I graduate with honors from St. John’s University, as its first neuroscience major and a first-generation college student. But most importantly, I am graduating with a family of nearly 1,000 classmates, and finally, a place I can call home.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-kelly-20221013a/
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote