View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:42   #48
VXMerlinXV
Asset

I checked out the mini rolls and I think that is just what the doctor ordered. Other than a sensitivity to adhesive, I do not see a lot of downsides to using duct tape as opposed to medical tape.
Going back to the original intent of the thread, looking at most of the lists provided we're looking at a decent size kit, something big enough to need a pants pocket or larger vest pouch. I offered an abbreviated kit, and Krod listed a smaller kit as well. I think that a lot of the kits, including my own larger kit, can be cut down with little detrimental effect. So I suggest the following:
Hemostatic agents: Quick clot, Arista, etc. I think, barring some major advances, these are going to go the way of PASG/MAST quickly. The exothermic reaction is a definite factor, but more than that we were discussing research at work the other day which shows the products do not reliably stop arterial bleeding, which is the whole point. The Quickclot ACS negates the point of the clotting agent, this role is already filled with surgifoam or surgicel. The best I see for these products is large raw peripheral wounds, and these lend themselves to dressings, not powders. I think they can be cut from the kit all together.
Bulk gauze: I know the big wounds require a lot of dressing. But I am looking at the time/treatment ratio, the time it would take to use the majority of one of these IFAKs could be better spent transporting the casualty. I would say one good pressure dressing and one other dressing (ABD pad) should cover needs for the “Care under fire” phase.
Tourniquet: I like the idea of keeping them even more easily accessible than the IFAK. A small dedicated pouch with a tourniquet eliminates digging when you need one. I have always been partial to an inflated BP cuff for this function. There is a quantifiable amount of pressure, and you can slowly deflate the cuff after treating the wound to see if your intervention has reliably stopped the bleeding. I think one is enough for the individual to carry. You have to figure one limb can be controlled by the cuff, a second can be controlled with a pressure dressing, and if you have a third limb with an exanguinating wound you should either consider being kind and opening up the aidbag, or rest assured that one the patients systolic pressure hits 80 most of the the bleeding will stop all on it's own.

I think that these changes should drop some considerable bulk and some weight from the IFAK.
VXMerlinXV is offline   Reply With Quote