Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 16:10   #49
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

disasters ready??

What happens during a disaster weather it a tornado to a Tsunami it all up to you. You have to know where your located at and who your there with - Family, Friend, Coworkers, ETC. You have to be ready for the world to come down on you. Just like get into that new Hotel or Club or restaurant. Do you know how to get out of it when you first get them? Where are the Fire Exits, Delivery doors, how do you get to the back door from the restaurant?

You can break it down by the areas you live in. Like the western USA - so you don't have hurricanes or flood you have wildfires and maybe earthquakes. So what you need compared to me here in NC is different. I like the 3" wrecking bar next to each bed. Great Idea - have to tell me relatives in Hell Fran Area, CA. (9th Dist)

I think some things that I feel that are need in disaster like a hurricane or an earthquakes are mobile communication and electronic (C-E) vehicle platform capable of operating in an urban to rural environment in support of Federal, State and Local Government emergency management incident. Something that is Four X Four and can be dual fueled if not Hybrid fuel system. Something that can support all Bands of CE and provide cellular and has a cross-band repeaters. I know there are some large tractor trailer systems out there, but they are to big. You need some in the HUMMVE or van size. We learned so there being made now.

Also I think an expandable tractor trailer system that is a mobile medical center. Not a hospital in the sense but some that can be set up to provide medical care and move fast once it is needed by the changes in the environment. During a disaster the events can change very fast. you have 4-5 of these 54 Trailers you can have a very mobile medical clinic.

With your family you can think the same way just smaller. TR and other have posted some really good points to think about. We in the military cross training with other skills so we all know how to do them to a point. Cross training is needed with everyone. If you don't know how to start the generator, work the computer reporting program, or even the radio system. Start the radio from a "Cold Start" then you need to cross training. Everyone is a specialties, but you need to know how to do the other guys JOB to a point.

Things that I like are:
- mobile satellite telephone communications
- I got to have XM satellite radio - just wished in work outside of the USA
+ real world I would like a broadcast reception with mobile satellite ability and local television reception for all levels
- onboard navigational system information
- wireless Internet access best a satellite
- intra-team communications all bands
+A 8.5 kW AC/DC generator power source for equipment and external ancillaries.
+Pack the family bags so if needed we can go. Wife knows what file draw need to be loaded up and grab the small fire safe.
+ Everyone knows what they are to do, just like in a fire drill. Maybe I'll do one tonight and see if the kids get to the mailbox again.

I think listing what your what type of disasters are with in your Area (AO) and telling us what you do to prepare for them and/or what your local Gov't does. Would better provide ideas on how "you" can be prepared, even our families in the disaster that they face.

.02 VG

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote