View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 14:22   #24
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

I have told my patients that my goal is to resort function, not to get them free of pain. Likely they will never be completely pain free. I try to get them to readjust their goals. Some want the help, some don't. For those that don't, I'm ok with their decision but I'm not the provider for them.

My thoughts on addicts is that they are trying to self medicate either psychiatric or physical pain. Not just narcotics or alcohol but any addiction. If we can find the root we can decrease or eliminate the addiction and restore their functionality.

I followed a provider at a community health clinic that gave out narcs like it was candy and our reputation showed it. I came in with the mandate to turn it around. We had people coming from Pheonix and flagstaff to nm for narcs.

I would listen to their S&S and review test results if any, order tests, PT, refer to physiatrist put them on a pain contract. If they broke the contract, I'd drop them quickly with a 2 week supply so they can try to find another provider.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote