View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 16:33   #74
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffjm8509

Dedicate Gym time to endurance type lifting with as much weight as you can manage. I look toward 10 sets of 10 repititions of any major muscle group exercise. Bench for Chest, Pullups for back, Curls for Bi/tri, Military Press for shoulders, and squats and lunges for legs. You'll not get huge or enourmously strong, but you will get rapid strength and enduracne, (and sore as hell).

just my .02

mp
Thanks for that post.

Some of you may want to check out www.Crossfit.com. It's a website/gym/community that seems to have found favor among military/le types.

They work hard on finding the right combination of functional speed/strength/power/endurance/balance/agility. They do O-lifts and other complex movements, rather than just trying to add more pounds to your one-rep bench max. Lots of rope climbing and work with gymnast rings, as well.

It also introduced me to 'endurance lifting' that will leave you smoked. The Fight Gone Bad workout has you doing one minute of 75 lb deadlift high pulls, followed immediately by a 20" box jump for a minuted, followed by a minute of 75lb push presses (standing military press, with a slight squat to get the bar moving if needed), followed by a minute on a Concept 2 rower and a minute squating/throwing a 20 lb medicine ball at a mark draw 8 feet high. Rest for a minute, then repeat cycle 2 or 4 more times.

Another good one a 400 meter run, then 21 Kettebell or dumbell swings then 12 pullups. Repeat 2 more times. (A lot of the exercises are better suited to a garage gym where you can drop the weight and take off on a run, rather than a commercial facility)

In my humble view, it's far and away better conditioning that following a bodybuilding routine, which is what I see most people doing at the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
"Have any of you seen the draft version of the "new" PT FM that the Physical Fitness School put out a few years ago (before they took it off their website)? They changed the focus of PT to 'functional fitness', incorporating exercises that mimiced tasks soldiers could expect to perform in combat, and other exercises that strengthened supporting and stabilizing muscles. Its more equipment intensive than the current push-up/sit-up/run concept, but appears to be more directed towards what an infantryman would need.
My AIT DSs switched my class to the new PT program toward the end of my course in March '04. More "core strength' (abs and obliques) than the old PT program. One curious thing is that you had to get up out of the seated position without using your hands. It also had shuttle runs. (The PT program at Basic had ZERO speed work. ) Seems to me the ability to run/sprint for short distances is important. We were also supposed to do pull-ups, but we didn't have any pull up bars. The DSs didn't like it because there were fewer pushups, and they worried our PT scores would go down. We graduated before I could judge the efficacy of the program.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote