View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 15:55   #4
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

1. Do you have to have to spend a certain amount of time with your unit following training before you can apply for this?

A: YES. It varies and it depends upon your CoC being willing to support such a packet... which depends upon what a stellar SF troop you prove to be. Down in the weeds, not on paper. If you are commissioned material, you'll get supported. If not... you won't.

2. Is it extraordinarily difficult to do this?

A: That depends almost entirely upon you. SF Commanders & Sr NCOs are usually supportive of quality NCOs going the commissioning route. Even if it means losing a good future leader to another branch. If you've got what it takes to be SF, it won't seem particularly difficult. Just another navigation of bureaucracy & administrative packets.

Not sure how the application works and how many people they're willing to send. I know there are three options that are part of the program and I imagine some are are easier to get than others?

A: I have no personal experience with the application process. Group willl send any qualified enlisted Soldier to Green to Gold on a case by case basis. It's not a quota system in SF and it's fairly rare for people to do. "Easy" should not be in your vocabulary. If you've truly got the bone between your teeth for a commission, most commands would support your applying for OCS rather than Green To Gold. BTW: With two years of college under your belt, you can finish a BA easily enough while still AD enlisted.

3. I did read somewhere that once you commission, you'd have to be promotable (ie 1LT) before you can rejoin SF. Can anyone confirm?

A: There aren't any SF tabbed jobs for you (as an O-1/O-2) until your year group is eligible to try out for SF. You owe the Army ~3 years as an officer before they'll look at your packet for SF.

I assume you'd be at the needs of the Army until that point - any idea where they tend to put people?

A: Yes, you would. Actually at the needs of your assigned Branch. Typically Infantry (or another combat arms branch). They put you where they put all new officers... right in the middle of a hard job. With a hard Boss to answer to. A good time to shoot for assignment at 75th Ranger Regiment.

Would you have to repeat any part of Selection and/or the Q course?

A: Selection NO, SFQC YES (less a few phases exempted like SERE & SUT).

As wiser heads have noted, focus on your 5 meter targets (BCT, Airborne) and then your 25 meter 18X pipeline requirements. IF you manage to graduate the SFQC, you'll have ample time to research hypothetical commissioning prospects. Nobody wants to hear about your officer goals until you've proven yourself as an entry level SF NCO on an ODA. That'll take a few years. Most of your first SF enlistment.

I can appreciate trying to map out a future, but your immediate concern is to become a quality enlisted Soldier. Then prove yourself as a superlative Junior NCO 18X. You haven't yet gotten through Basic Training. Put away the Officer Dreams except in the abstract. Admirable back burner goal... but not important now.

Focus.

Last edited by Astronomy; 05-20-2017 at 20:48.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote