View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36   #13
Fat Albert
Quiet Professional

Trapper,

I went on R&R in September '72 and Tedrick was OK then. All the team members had a plaque made for him and I was to send it to Parkersburg when I got home. This was in anticipation of his return to the "world." If he was wounded it must have been in September time frame because when I returned from R&R I never returned to Long Hai.

The only op that I was on around the mountains was between Nui Ba Dien and the small mountain just south of the camp (don't remember it's name). We ran into a large area of pottery mines so Sweetback and I set time pencils and backed out of the area because the brass didn't want any wounded cambods. We continued south for a few days just southwest of Van Keip. WE did run into about 17 VC/NVA coming north. Being the recon element we just called in the mortars and exited the area without contact. No BDA was done.

April and May were active months due to the Easter Offensive. My camp at Xuyen Moc was hit twice, once by 82mm mortars (about a half dozen rounds) and finally by mortar and infantry but we thought that the attack was very light for a coordinated assault. When the sun came up we saw that they had mortared their assault team on their approach to the front gate. The CO at the C det. ordered us out of Xuyen Moc after that contact. Long Hai had taken a mortar attack around the same time and to my understanding the round all landed in the northern part of the camp around the barracks and Co Lac Bo next to the Vietnamese flagpole. I don't know the number of rounds received or the type but they had determined that the rounds were fired between B-36 and B-43 at the base of Nui Ba Dien. Between May and the end of August the camp was not hit but several firefights were handled by the camp security teams mostly south and west of B-36. I never heard of any action to the north of B-43.

This was the total of my experience with A 362 because when I returned from R&R I was assigned to mobile training team 2 that operated in the Song Bei and Can Tho AO. I never had the opportunity to get back to B-36.

Last edited by Fat Albert; 03-03-2014 at 14:03.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote