Thread: Wake-up Call
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 17:28   #71
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
Exactly, again, I'm in the BTDT category here. As a 12 yr old, my assessment of the situation was "Oh Shit! Run!" No need for complications.

I've seen dogs handled successfully by the more prepared burglar, using mace. Seems that I saw "better burglars" on cases involving small business owners who are *reputed* to ease some cash out of the business and keep it at home for "tax purposes".
I came home once to find a screen window pried away from the house. At that point part of the alarm attached to the window itself was visible. End result, one bent screen window, nothing more. The systems armed/disarmed by a programmable key fob are sweet, and again, if the unit is in the closet, there is little chance that anyone else would pick up the code.

A good neighbor is priceless. After I moved from Missouri, some fellows came to my old farm to "repair my storm windows". My sole neighbor (former marine), happened to be walking down my driveway to go bird hunting and found that they didn't know my name. He and Mr. Remington waited until the Sheriff arrived.

Amen, deter the casual thief and pray that you aren't a prime target for someone who is more resolved.

Doing a little data look-up on this subject, I read that most residential burglaries occur between 7-10 a.m. (if my data is correct), but also around 5-6 pm when burglars choose to follow a target home. That leaves me less satisfied than I thought I was with a gun by her bedside when I'm gone. So, I'm gonna finance milady's CPL. I've taken her from "no guns" thru the .22 and soda cans, to the .38 and full milk-jugs until she wants her own. When I asked what kind she would like to have she informed me that she wants "one of the shiny ones". OK, I still have some work to do

Those are just some things I had running through my mind, and some first thoughts....not advice. Anyway YMMV as to right, wrong, good or bad.

Back to the topic...

My first inclination on a plan was escape with the kids. But TR gave me a scenario that change my thinking on that. I want my dog to be my trusted alarm system so I am going to try Wet Dog ideas, if that doesn't work I need to get another. When I replace the back door I'll reinforce it as I described. The kids are taking martial arts.

My plan, it is a work in progress.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote