Old 04-23-2012, 19:11   #9
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Teach Tough, Think Tough: Why Military Education Must Change
AOLDefense, 15 Jun 2011
Part 2 of 2

Many will likely deny any contention of civil-military strife within PME, including for reasons of self-protection. Academic PME faculty are often on two- to four-year contracts; their pay is not in addition to a military pension. They fear losing their jobs if they are not regarded as not team players" -- a deadly accusation in the military world -- or if the students don't "like" them. As a department chair I had many closed door discussions on these and similar issues (gender-related problems, for example), but few military academics are willing to speak openly. Dan Hughes did, but he is retired, and I have one of a very few effectively tenured positions at the Naval War College. But the careers of many others rest in the hands of administrators, themselves often retired military officers tasked to maintain harmony.
This observation rings a bell <<LINK>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
I am curious.

Does the military select and train its officers to have a "bias for action"?
The black-and-white thinking versus open-ended ambiguity would seem to be the difference between bias for action and bias for waiting.

Which behavior is rewarded in officer promotion, and does this change at certain levels?
The thread located here addresses your questions in part.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote