Thread: Born to Run
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27   #6
MILON
Guerrilla

Consider this.....

Learning as much as you can about physical training is vital for people who live and die, at least in part, by their physical ability and capacity. Reading books is a great way to learn and I could list off several books I would recommend to anyone wanting to learn about training. However, we need to remember how fast pace the field of human performance is in regard to what we know. Even the workings of the muscle (Sliding Filament Theory) is only a theory. Many of the books out there have elements that are outdated by the time the book hits the stores. This does not mean the information in them isnt valuable and you shouldn't purchase them. But, I think reading the current research is just as important as reading books.

Using Ebsco Host, Google Scholar, Pub Med, etc are great ways to get current resources. I would also suggest limiting your search to peer reviewed articles within the last 5-10 years. This will help keep the information gathered more reliable and up-to-date. As a warning, research articles CAN be extremely boring to read unless your very interested in the material. Certain sections of the article may be more important to you if you dont care to read the article critically. Another focus may be Review articles because they research a variety of articles, condense the information and produce recommendations based on the information they found. Very helpful.

If you have never used some of these search engines, here a couple links:
http://scholar.google.com/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

AKO has access to ebsco host and a variety of other search engines through My Library.

I realize this is getting away from the running focus of the thread, but IMO its something we need to think about.

With regards to running, testedone, I think if you do some reseach as mentioned above you'll find that there is much supporting the type of training that helped you. Glad its working for you!

MILON

Last edited by MILON; 09-25-2009 at 13:20.
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote