Thread: Born to Run
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 16:41   #2
MILON
Guerrilla

Genetics, Training and Performance

"Born to Run:...." is referring to a specific group of people, the Tarahumara, in Mexico, correct? I have never read the book, but I have read about them in several magazine articles, which only means I am aware of them. Because these abilities seem to be limited to one specific group I have to ask if its genetic related or training related. Certainly their ability has to do with both, which is no different than anyother human being's physical ability. Attached is an article posing a question about genetics and running performance, specifically targeting African runners who have found great success in distance events. Basically it points out that we have no way to prove a genetic connection to performance because we havn't identified the related gene YET, but when we look at their training, its different than what most countries are doing.

IMHO, slow distance running is a good thing and can be done if speed is not needed. But, if speed is needed (ie. hitting a deadline, 3-5 second rush, etc) speed training absolutely has to be part of the program.

Much of the research I have read about overtraining injuries has been connected to greater distances ran per week, especially in runners who progressed in mileage too aggressively. There were other factors as well, but distance seems to be the focus in this discussion. Certainly, running barefoot will increase the likelihood of injury. The author suggesting that "running slow, barefoot, for long distances and one will be in better shape, less injured, and happier" is a loaded statement, I believe. Does the book go into detail about their nutritional habits, cultural lifestyle, training, etc? I can guarantee if the majority of Americans up and tried running "slow, barefoot, for long distance" they would be quite the opposite of healthy and happy.

The Tarahumara are obviously extremely gifted endurance athletes and whatever they are doing to training is working for them. Does the book talk at all about how they train? What age do they start? How do they progress?

Just my opinion....

MILON

Note: the attached article was sent to me through email. Unfortunately, I am not sure of its source, but thought it interesting considering the discussion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Genetics and Performance.pdf (32.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by MILON; 09-24-2009 at 16:44.
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote