View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:08   #21
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
CPTAUSRET,

I believe so. I also Believe that he stated something like he "Couldn't get this thing to land!" Now that is the main rotor correct?

MAB:

I am not sure just why a rotor overspeed would prevent slamming that thing on the ground. Unless he REALLY overstressed something. Was it rotor overspeed under power? If so, the engine (gas turbine) could have been overstressed. Here's something for you to read.

Transport Accident Investigation Commission Aviation Rail Marine

spacer
Investigation 04-003
Bell/Garlick UH1B Iroquois helicopter, ZK-HSF, in-flight break-up, near Mokoreta, Southland, 23 April 2004

Report Extracts Full Report
O Abstract
O Safety Recommendations Download full report (808 kB PDF file)
Order hard copy: volume A83, price NZ $24.00 Order here

Abstract
On Friday 23 April 2004, Helicopter Services UH-1B helicopter ZK-HSF was on a ferry flight to Gore to facilitate maintenance work. En-route near Mokoreta a main rotor blade separated, the helicopter broke up and fell to the ground. The pilot, the sole occupant, was killed and the helicopter was destroyed.

The accident resulted from fatigue failure of a tension-torsion (TT) strap, a critical rotor hub component. The fatigue cracking had probably been initiated by an unreported rotor overspeed event.

Safety issues identified included:

· The need for pilots to understand the importance of reporting a rotor overspeed event

· The need for FAA and CAA airworthiness personnel and licensed maintenance engineers to recognise and respond to documented improper identification of critical finite-life components such as the TT straps

Safety recommendations to address these issues were made to the Director of Civil Aviation, and to the Administrator of the United States Federal Aviation Administration.

Safety Recommendations (SRs)