View Single Post
Old 12-25-2004, 18:47   #62
C/S PHOENIX 10
Quiet Professional

I can talk without violating OPSEC, because when we left so did the concept we employed. Basicly, we split ourselves into 4 RT. One heavy and three light. The light was comprised of 2 USSF and 5 HN, while the heavy package had a larger commo and medic skill sets. This team was 4 SF, 5 HN and terp. On the lights we didn't need a terp and would work through the radio with the heavy's terp if needed. Normally we would deploy all four RT's into a large box giving each RT their own AO. Acouple of times we deployed one or two RT's on their own. Our longest mission I think was about ten days. We where able to top-off on water from some streams to sustain. The open desert does have it's own challenges but one learns to adjust TTP's to fit the terrain. My father is an old SF from the day and so is my neigbor. Some of you old timers would be amazed how close Nam and Afghanistan really are minus the terrain piece. We have all of the border issues, and polical concerns that you all did and then some too. Afghanistan is the true forgotten war in America's eyes. But believe the stories that guys will tell. It is no Iraq, but there are plenty of bad dudes running around. On several occations we also deployed the RT's as a single large Mike force package plused up with additional HN reacting to other teams in contact or conducting other DA type of missions. Never got tied up like the old timers, but did our best to serve with honor and not bring shame to the RT's traditions under any conditions. Also the 4 RT's were RT RAPTOR, HAWK, OSPREY, KESTREL. I was the 1-0 of Raptor and Viking was the 1-1 on Hawk. RT Phoenix was our detachment made throw back long before we employed the RT concept in combat. I would like to go into more details but this is as far as I will go on a open forum.

Last edited by C/S PHOENIX 10; 12-25-2004 at 18:57.
C/S PHOENIX 10 is offline   Reply With Quote