View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 06:57   #4
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisw View Post
http://www.wreg.com/news/politics/sn...,7143274.story

It seems when faced with the difficulty of Afghanistan or any other complex third world issue, instead of making a major commitment of resources, the fallback position is to send in small, potent Special Forces units. Isn't this the way our battle in Afghanistan began? Does George Will have something here?

I posed this scenario to my son who is in Third Group and has been to Afghanistan numerous times. To my surprise, he thought this probably work. I know the foundational principle of counter insurgency is protecting the local population. How could that be obtained with just SF on the ground?
Afghanistan has no real central government and never has. (The State Department needs to put away the textbook for Poly Sci 101 and get out something similiar to Anthropology 101. Higher level courses are too complicated for them...)

Let SF go in and help train local militias to protect their own turf. That way the LOCAL people have a stake in their own security. The "central" government can't do it... Go local.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote