View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 17:37   #105
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiterM View Post
As I said I'm not in a combat situation. tourniquet is probably the last device I'd ever need. And just in case I have always with me a good piece of paracord, which would work great as a tourniquet (combined with a piece of stick or folding knife to apply good torque).

Celox... easy to find here, and seems to be a good general solution for severe cuts. I'm not afraid of bullet wound. I'm afraid that I can cut myself BADLY with one of my knives when working with them in the wild. For knife cuts and stabs Celox™ Granules seems to be quite OK. Especially combined with OLAES Modular bandaid.

What I really consider (additionally) is Celox Applicator for deep stabs...
As a 91B4S at one time and a physician I would say that paracord makes a lousy tourniquet . It is narrow. The wider the better when it comes to a tourniquet. Even with a stick is is hard to get sufficient pressure to stop arterial flow on a limb. Probably would work on a finger.