View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 02:00   #11
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_robalt View Post
Ok so I can't find a BCT3 Manual or a SOCM manual to save my life but ironically the old FM 4-25.11 on First Aid even says that to have maximum effectiveness that a tourniquet should be placed above the knee and above the elbow. Is there any where I can get the Manuals for either BCT3, ALC or SOCM so I get this in writing and get this guy to shut up.
Hey SGT,

How about you take a step back and take a deep breath. It is the principle of medicine that need not be violated. You seem HELL BENT on spotlighting yourself as Mr. Medical Sharpshooter.
CLS Guidelines teach 2-3 inches above. You have ample advice from current providers and recent graduates of BCT3 and TCCC above.
Once you have been in medicine awhile, you will find that it s a PRACTICE...meaning that things can, and are, done and taught differently in different arenas by different people but the principles remain the same.

Take the information you have been given and move out smartly.

Unless you have been through SFAS and even attempted the 18D Course, you really have exactly ZERO room to be chastising your "18D Wannabe"...

At least he stepped up to be assessed, and was selected. Though he failed - AT LEAST HE TRIED.

EDITED TO ADD
Looking in the most current CLS INSTRUCTORS MANUAL, ISO 0873, Chapter 4 "Combat Application Tourniquet" (Arm or Forearm) page 4-14, Step #2, it reads:
Position the CAT Tourniquet band two inches above the wound

You have your Reference, now man up and apologize to your "18D Wannabe"

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 07-12-2011 at 02:17.