Thread: TQ Protocols
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 15:04   #7
paramedicfred
Asset

I recently went to a medical class designed specifically for operators. It was designed for the non-medically trained ones. The topic of TQ was an interesting one when addressed by 2 of the instructors, both quiet professionals one with a contractor and another still in the game. They both discussed the need for immediate bleeding control as is discussed on earlier boards. This is were I found it very interesting, unlike the thought of TQ last (I was trained this way in the military and in civilian EMS), they strongly suggested it to be placed first and very high and as far as you can get away from the injury. After the TQ is placed, you would use what ever hemorrhagic agent you choose and then apply direct pressure. Once bleeding is controlled you would loosen the TQ and drop it down the EXT until it is the appropriate 2 inches away then re-apply it if necessary. The reason behind the placement well above the injury is so that you would have plenty of space to work on the actual wound and not have to contend with the TQ also.
I really enjoyed the new way of thinking especially when we got to see it in action during a lab.