Thread: Survive!
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 11:03   #15
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

TR,
The Zippo was just a comment but has a basis for use. After you run out of lighter fluid you still have the ability to create a spark with the wheel and striker. But there are many ways to create a flame that could exhaust this forum and it really depends on what else you can find. Sorry if I sounded like I was urinating on your camp fire, that was not my intention.

I think the initial assessment should drive the effort. As QRQ30 points out we have time and we do not want to expend a whole lot of energy without having established the means to obtain chow to replenish it.

I break survival down into physical needs of shelter, fire, water and food as mentioned before. For me I can satisfy all those requirements with a good knife, some 550 cord, fire starter of some sort (matches, lighter, improvised bow and drill, commercial metal match, etc). Water is only a problem in that you have to make sure it is not contaminated. This will requiring obtaining a container of some sort to boil it (and there is nothing like an old canteen cup for that) or obtaining it from plants (which will require a rudimentary knowledge of those in the area that you can use), building a solar still , or collecting rainfall and dew. Shelter is easy but requires a lot of work to use natural material and for that a simple poncho would fill the bill for most situations. Food is limited only by your patience, sqeamishness, and knowledge of the flora and fauna of the area.

For those not used to living in the woods there are other problems which may or may not be overcome depending on the person. These are basically dealing with fear, anxiety, pain, injury, illness, effects of cold and heat extremes, thrist, hunger, fatique, sleep deprivation, loneliness and isolation. Most of this can be handled by good training ahead of time.

Besides building your kit, your actions in a survival situation are also important. Personal hygiene, establishing a routine, maintainng a signalling system that functions in both daylight and darkness, maintaining (if possible) a log will also contribute to your survival and recovery.

Jack Moroney-ducking, weaving and waiting for incoming.
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote