Thread: Bugout Loadout
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 18:16   #49
DaveP
Asset

As I checked the wx this AM making decisions for the day (affirm on leaving the dogs out in the yard, neg on riding the MC to work), I wondered how many in this scenario would take a moment to review and somehow record the forecast for the expected duration of movement. Clearly not the highest priority, but would certainly have bearing on visibility, expected traffic/patrol patterns, potential water avail, LP/concealment locations, etc.

Although I'm a near-Luddite, most would have near-instant access to a reasonably accurate extended forecast at least before departing, and there are quick ways to shorthand data in a notebook if you don't plan or expect to be using e-tools on the way.
When I'm in the boonies for more than an overnight to fish or hunt, I'll use a Rite-in-the-Rain pad to record min/max T, rainfall timing, cloud cover, and wind/direction for the duration. Let's me plan when to expect birds to hold or seek southerly aspects, when I'd be better to sleep in, when it'd be better to fish. In the days when I was into skiing and avi study, it was also nice to know expected pressure changes as well, both for the snow science part and to know when not to trust the Suunto altimeter.

Thoughts?
DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote