View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 04:59   #22
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
In the 2003 SARS coronavirus outbreak, 95% of cases and 93% of deaths were in the PRC or areas near China with significant Chinese populations (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam and the Philippines). The one outlier was Canada, which accounted for 5%-6% of deaths.

A few days ago, an article appeared on globalnews.ca entitled "Doctor on front lines of SARS outbreak says Canadian hospitals prepared for coronavirus". A quote from the article:

I'm sorry. Hospitals didn't focus on handwashing until after 2003? Washing your hands is something 21st century health professionals needed to be told?

Is this a Canadian thing? I know hygiene issues are a big problem with disease outbreaks in the Third World, but I did not realize Toronto was in the Third World.
In the lead up to the 1997 handover of Hong Kong, there was a wave of Chinese who gained residency and citizenship in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and USA as a hedge against PRC heavy handed ness in Hong Kong, with the biggest single clusters in Vancouver, Sydney, Auckland, and LA/San Francisco.

A generation later, with the wealth boom in Mainland China, many Chinese decided to hedge their bets in western countries buying real estate “life boats” and sending their kids to be educated in the same locations theirs aunts/uncles/cousins set up a generation prior.

Based on those really strong network connections, those are the places I suspect have some of the highest risk of viral “break-in” to 4 of the FVEY.

Just my amateur anthropological 0.02c
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote