View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 06:29   #14
bravo22b
Guerrilla

Quote:
1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc
1. yes
2. didn't make it very far...probably 2nd or 1st class Scout
3. it was a good introduction to fieldcraft. I don't know how much I actually took away from it, but I definitely learned that I liked being out in the field and I spent hours reading the Boy Scout Handbook learning survival skills.
4. N/A
5. My heart wasn't really in the Scouts, probably because it wasn't quite "military" enough to really keep my attention. It was, however, a good experience, and if I ever have kids, I would certainly encourage them to do it. I ended up in Civil Air Patrol, which has its faults, but there I really started to learn the skills that would help me in the Army. Land nav, rappelling, long marches, etc., plus I came into contact with a lot of veterans, as well as other like minded teenagers. I know at least one of my peers from CAP went SF (5th Group), and many more who went Marines, Rangers, and infantry.

RIP CPT Brian Faunce.
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote