Thread: Introductions V
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 13:36   #2574
jf69
Asset

35M looking toward the future

I am currently in my early 20’s and a lower enlisted HUMINTer in the National Guard. I come to this forum seeking knowledge and perhaps a mentor after I decide more precisely what I want my career to look like moving forward.

Army-wise, I have done my initial entry stuff, DLI (3/3/2 in Farsi and Dari), and basic airborne course. I am now one weekend a month in a run-of-the-mill guard unit. Aside from the Guard duties, I study International Relations and Middle Eastern languages full time in university. Upon graduation next year, my plan is to get an enlisted deployment under my belt before applying to OCS and beginning a graduate program.

In the next few years, I hope to continue progressing physically and career-wise so that I have adequate knowledge and ability to contribute to the military’s mission. I am currently most interested in the SF or special assignments routes. I feel my biggest hurdles in getting selected for either type of work are my total unfamiliarity with small unit tactics, radios, land-navigation and just about all the traditional army stuff. Physically I'm good (but not great), though speed is a work in progress.

I am looking forward to browsing these forums to see what possibilities exist for young officers and the best ways I can prepare for such opportunities. In addition to consuming knowledge, I look forward to giving my input when requested on subjects I know, such as DLI and airborne school.

Thanks for reading,
B

Last edited by jf69; 03-04-2021 at 11:11.
jf69 is offline   Reply With Quote