Thread: From ROTC to SF
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 18:10   #3
Zorro
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmack View Post
Hello All,

I'm currently a contracted cadet in Army ROTC, just looking for some suggestions in my situation. I am a sophomore and just finished my 3rd semester of college, I'm on full scholarship however every day I ask myself if it's all worth it.

I question whether this path will lead me to my dreams, to be SF.
Check it out. I am a Special Forces Officer and was commissioned through ROTC.

I, like you, had a plan coming out of high school to be an Army Officer in Special Forces. Everything I did in college was geared towards achieving this goal. I created what I called my "10 Year Plan." I tailored my college education and activities in ROTC to get me where I wanted to be. I studied Criminal Justice, Spanish and Psychology (I wanted to go to 7th Group, which I did). While in ROTC you should go to Airborne School and learn the basics of leadership. I recommend studying International Relations, get at a MINIMUM a MINOR in a foreign language (I chose Spanish), and take all the Psych classes you can.

I recommend going Infantry get to Ranger School and go to a unit like the 82nd or 101st. By no means is that your ONLY options. It just worked well for me. Work hard and learn what you can from your NCOs as a LT and train hard for a chance to go to SFAS. Don't place too much emphasis on your career aspirations in your basic branch. Instead focus on doing the right thing for the men (or women) that you will lead and learn. If you focus on the right things good things will happen.

I sincerely believe that I have not gotten where I am at today if it wasn't for the men I led. I was fortunate to have outstanding Rifle and Mortar Platoons in the 82nd Airborne and great NCOs in Special Forces. All of my success has been because of the NCOs I was fortunate enough to be in charge of for a short period of time.

Just because you think that your fellow cadets are "kids" doesn't mean that your fellow 18X's won't be "kids" too. There are good sides and bad sides to EVERY situation no matter where you are at. If you really want to be an SF Officer then stick it out and set yourself up for success. It may seem like a long journey to get to SF (I know I was there too) but I am now looking back a decade and can't believe how fast time has flown by.

Good Luck.

Zorro
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote