Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 11:05   #59
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd
Great thread. We begin the region's annual exercise this week in preparation for the upcoming hurricane season, moving up a COR level each day. I'm reading through the instruction now, checking it against TR's posts.

We are at sea level and have to be able to evacuate housing in 30 minutes, so I would ask that portability be considered in this discussion. We used to keep a hurricane/tsunami kit in the trunk of the car, but I need to be able to carry what I'll need here. That makes water a big issue for me. Also, we have a lot of families with small children. If anyone has specific recommendations for evacuating children, they would be welcome. My kids were in middle-school by the time we went through our first tsunami.

There should be plenty of water up in the mountains. Make sure that you have the ability to purify it. For the most compact method other than the WP tablets, look at the MSR MIOX. Great little device. All you need is salt and batteries.

You will need containers as well, several companies, including Coleman make collapsible 5 gallon water bladders.

Food would be another consideration, MREs or freeze-dried would be a good bet in your circumstances. At least three days worth, more if you have the money and space.

If you are going to stay in the woods, take the usual camping essentials. If you are going to a shelter, focus on comfort items that might be useful there.

A tsunami can be such a short notice event that it is more likely than not that the roads will be jammed. Have the gear in a ruck or at least bags with straps if you have to go to foot. Bikes might be a good idea as well.

HTH. Let me know if you have specific questions.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote