Thread: EMP Proof Box
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59   #11
albeham
Quiet Professional

If you are at ground zero this might not work.

A metal box, screened box, that is grounded, will work.
I work in EMI/EMC chambers and the doors every hole once closed has a conductive seal around it. and its grounded. Being grounded is a very important aspect of the shielding. Faraday cage type of idea, hell that's it. There is a lot online that talks about it. Think of it as broad band energy that is looking for something to take it to ground but you don't want your item to be in the loop for the grounding. What ever you have in the box, make sure it is not touching any metal inside it. I know one guy that made a room, his ham radio station into a cage. Even with each coax having a EMP lighting protection on it. So you can do it in a large manner, if you need to.

Many hams just keep their systems off when not needed and coax off of the radio until you use it. Energy helps energy move, so the idea here if its off and not connected to an antenna, there is a very good chance it will not be affected.

One other thing, because of the many "PC world" we are using in cars, TVs, etc, and their EMI/EMC interaction. These systems are harden because of the lose EMI EMC issues that are one many platforms, to protect them from each other. .

One problem is when after the blasts, yes many of then, stop, how in the help is going to be online ? This is a discussion question to spark research on the ways to help the home owner perep the home for sure events.

That what I know..but I always open to learn more...

PS very large heads, PHD's and the alike, will get into pissing matches on stuff like this...The best is look up the MIL standard for EMP protection. AL yeah he went that way...