Thread: Sfuwo
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 22:52   #45
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by QRQ 30 View Post
Our Captain was an SP5. He had almost 20 years and that's is all he ever did in the Army. I know he had to return to CONUS once in a while but he was as close to being a permanent resident in the Canal Zone as one can be. That boat was his wife and baby and he knew every screw, nut and bolt on it.

This may be the LCM and crew of which QRQ speaks! These slides date from '71-ish when I was on the ODA attached to JOTC for "support". We were picked up by the LCM at "Point Blue" beneath Fuerte San Lorenzo on the Chagres River, and taken "upriver" - ala "Apocolypse Now" - to the Expedient Obstacle Crossing Site, where I was the "assistant" to "Knot Man" - Sgt Jones.
Pic #1 - SGT Pierce - heading upriver
Pic #2 - The LCM arriving at Pt. Blue just before dawn. We had to travel from Ft. Gulick to Ft. Sherman, and then out to Pt. Blue to meet it and load our equipment, pick-up our 193rd support troops and head upriver to set up the Expedient Obstacle Crossing site.
Pic #3 - SGT Gates - aka "Knot Man" - who could tie all the intricate knots that held the "Slide For Life" together. He was due to DEROS within a year, and I was assigned to "learn everything he knows" and take over upon his departure. He is eating his "C-Rations" lunch here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCM-UpRiver.jpg (10.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg LCM-PtBlue.jpg (6.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg ExpObsCrx-Jonesy.jpg (11.9 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 10-09-2009 at 13:03. Reason: Correct name
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote