Thread: Pen Flares
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 23:29   #13
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by QRQ 30
Well folks -- keep in mind I'm discussing not cussing or arguinmg.
Agreed Sir.

Quote:
Orginally posted by ORQ 30
In realituy the flash from a windshield, piece of metal or signal mirror will get your attention if it strikes your eyes. The problem would not be in seeing, but rather in interpretation. In that case a mirror may be less effective.
Sir, above I was refering to the fact that unless there is an active search going on most pilots woud dismiss the flash of a mirror or like object thinking it was a piece of glass or metal that just happen to catch there eye. IMHO I THINK that with the assistance of a pen flare it may be able to better catch someones attention.

Quote:
Origanily posted by QRQ 30
As for the pen flare, it is very small and very short lived. One flare may or may not be sufficient. In a word -- IMHO the pen-flare sucks.

If you want signalling devices get some that work. I believe that the original premise was that these were for use on a small body of water. Any good boating supply store sells visual signal kits which will satisfy the U.S.P.B.S. or U.S.C.G. specifications for around $40. They include a flare launching device, flares and aerial flares or star clusters.
I also agree with you on this point that a bigger signaling device would be better but I'm looking for something that I could concievably keep in a shirt pocket.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote