Thread: The MAT-49
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 07:54   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The MAT-49

A little history for the B's.
You may come across one of these someday.

The MAT-49 was a submachine gun which was developed by French arms factory Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de Tulle (MAT) for use by the French Army and was first produced in 1949. We came across these on a fairly regularly because of the French involvement in SEA in the 40t's & 50t's.

I have fired the one we had in our museum collection, while I was the "curator", XO DIV HQ forward, 1st CAV in 1970. Not my favorite. The folding mechanism, which holds the magazine, can get worn and cause FTF and other loading problems.

The following pictures were posted this AM on AF15.com by the owner.

Quote:
In spring 2018 I put out a want to trade ad locally (Switzerland). I had an old black powder Swiss Ordnance revolver I was not using.

One gentleman was interested and came up with this French machine gun. I agreed to trade the revolver for this MAT 49, 600 rds of .223 and some cash, so I have abt. $ 1000.- in it.
I AM SO JEALOUS,, He can purchase MG's at will

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote