Thread: Bug Out Bags
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14   #14
Maytime
Guerrilla

I have more of a bug out "box" for my Jeep, containing all the necessary tools, fluids, parts, etc needed to keep it running in the event that I am unable to bring it to an expert mechanic in times of hardship, like:
- tool box, socket wrench set
- air filter
- oil, oil filter, funnel (8 or 9 qts, I forget how much)
- AT fluid, has separate funnel
- brake fluid
- grease gun, spare grease tubes
- fuse set
- serpentine belt
- coolant
- various gauge wire spools
- replacement bulbs
- electrical tape
- spark plugs (+feeler gauges)
- that tire fluid shit that you use when you get a small puncture
- few cans of WD-40
- cans of compressed air
- rust blaster

I have another box in my Jeep that contains not necessarily survival equipment, but sure do come in handy at times, such as:
- a wood splitter
- duct tape
- 550 cord
- a poncho
- propane grill w/ spare tanks
- cooking utensils
- 37mm launcher w/ flares, smoke, and fireworks rds (only if I am going to remote areas, not included every day)
- huge ass LED Maglite w/ spare batteries
- headlamp w/ spare batts + bulbs
- car battery jump starter (charged regularly)
- 12VDC air compressor that can run off a cigarette lighter socket
- DC-AC power inverter (comes in handy running laptops, etc)
- large area tarp (12'x12' maybe, folds up nicely)
- shovel
- 5 gal water jug
- old fleece
- TOILET PAPER
- small cooler
- crowbar
- binocs
- sleeping bag
- fire starting materials
- small fire extinguisher (hopefully not related to fire starting materials)
- *forgot to add* the requisite CB radio with 6' whip
- *forgot to add* frequency scanner

This may look like a lot of shit, but if I pack it right I still have a decent amount of room in the back without even having to remove the back seat. If I do that, I can fit a litter in the back if the situation so arises, or use it as a de facto bed (the ability to lock the doors when sleeping is nice).

At home I have more of a shooter's box, with all the different kinds of ammo I would need to last me for a few days if shit hits the fan, along with pre-loaded mags, cleaning kits w/ CLP+rags, spare parts, and locks if I have to be away from my firearms at any time (kind of impractical to carry an AR, shotgun, long rifle, and pistol all at once).

I got bored one day and decided to build a snorkel for my air intake, which actually works! Still have to make one for the exhaust, but as long as the engine is running, it will ford up to ~4ft deep slow-moving creeks. It looks ghetto as shit, but $50 at the hardware store goes a long way.

I swear I'm NOT paranoid! I see something and think, "oh that might come in handy some day..." and I have actually used most of the items on these lists at least once, some items a lot.

Last edited by Maytime; 03-08-2010 at 13:56.
Maytime is offline   Reply With Quote