View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 07:36   #8
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Gents,

These are observations I have made, take heed and adjust accordingly if applicable.

the application of Special Forces during the GWOT has been a corruption of our design and purpose. We went from being unique and special to door kicking,

a UW unit would use it's underground sources for information, identify the intended targets and set traps for the CT force using deception tactics.

SOPC/SFPC has corrupted the SFAS selection process, part of the selection process is first drawing the right person to the job, the soldier would then through his own initiative and commitment prepare himself for SFAS. Once he arrives at Bragg the Selection course then tests the student through various events that are intended to push a soldier past his preparation training and peel back the onion of his character.
If I may inquire, I'm a bit confused about the part in bold regarding SOPC/SFPC.

As an outsider to SFAS, but involved in an assessment program that is assessing for qualities rather than competencies across the 360 degree spectrum of physical, mental, emotional, and social components of candidates, I'm unsure how SOPC/SFPC could corrupt the SFAS selection process.

In an increasingly urbanised society producing what appear to be(anecdotally, but obesity data and excessive consumer convenience outcomes seem to back this up) less physically resilient citizens and potential candidates on average, the logic for SOPC/SFPC appears sound(again from an outsider).

I'm assuming the primary purpose of SOPC/SFPC is largely a means of providing a highly concentrated period of physical training to improve physical capacity, provide some personal reference points for physical resiliency and the related mental mindset adjustment.

For off the street X-rays and non-teeth arms candidates does it not provide a highly condensed set of experiences that would be familiar-ish to some teeth arms candidates coming from a light infantry/airborne background during their career?

Assuming the necessary ambiguity of SFAS isn't breached during SOPC/SFPC, negative emotional/social indicators aren't temporarily coached out of candidates to mask underlying long term unsuitability, and problem solving activities aren't duplicated or leaked to mask a lack of mental agility your comment has me genuinely scratching my head.

Is it because of a strong belief that the high level of intrinsic motivation required for candidates negates the need for intrinsically motivated candidates to need SOPC/SFPC in the first place?

Because I'm left thinking that if SOPC/SFPC focus on physical capability and resiliency and it helps candidates better achieve SFAS physical standards without interfering with mental(agility/intellectual/trainability) emotional, and social assessment for suitability, how can it be a bad thing?

Very interested in your response as assessment course development is something I've been working on the last few years so I'm a keen student of what's been done thru history and what's being done now across the board to shape required outputs.

Cheers!
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote