View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 14:16   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by niners View Post
...I want to be an 18D, and that is all I want to be. To get to this point, would it be more beneficial to me to enlist as 68W or 11X? My recruiter is telling me that as an 11X it might be quicker to go through the pipeline as SF will recruit from basic training those who are qualified...

Cliffs notes: Would enlisting as a 68W be any more beneficial and quicker in getting me into the pipeline to being an 18D than enlisting as 11X?
Niners:

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your enlistment and arent getting exactly what you want when you want it, but it happens.

Before giving you advice on what I would do if I were in your shoes I want to address the comment I highlighted above. We understand your wanting to serve as an 18D but have you thought about what you would do if for some reason you were not to make it thru the training or even be selected to begin training? Not everyone who wants to be SF can be and even fewer are SF medics. You need to have a back up plan.

Now... I would enlist 68W, learn and train all I could then apply to SFAS when you are eligible. There is plenty to be learned from the conventional military and plenty of opportunities for you to excel. Also if something were to happen and you not make it thru SF training you are in the medical field.

That said, Ranger Regiment looks for volunteers at 68W AIT to fill holes they have as well.

HTH,

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 01-10-2011 at 14:21.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote