View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31   #1
ranger2339
SF Candidate

Prior service 18x? Going back active.

I tried to search the subject and couldn't find what I was looking for,maybe I wasn't searching with the correct key words, I'm not sure? Sorry in advance if this subject has been covered.

So I'm going back AD, I spent 3 years with the deuce from 99-02,had a couple years break in service, then decided to join the guard in 04. I just got my release from the guard last week, so now its off to the AD recruiter.

My initial plan was to go back on the line, pound around there for a bit, get in super stud shape, get a SF packet together with the local SF recruiter and attend SFAS. To my surprise the Army isn't taking any prior service 11B's right now, so I ask the recruiter about those 18x contracts I've been hearing about. The next day I come back and he says yes its something I can do. Great that's the best news I've heard all week.

I guess my question is, how does it work for guys like me,since I dont have to go to basic,AIT or Airborne school? Do I just get my orders and report to Bragg, get put in some training unit and then get ready for SFAS? Do I need to go to Airborne retrain, since its been about 8 years since my last jump?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote