View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I read two distinct parts to your question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I feel for anyone who has to go through this stuff, but is PTSD just the latest monetary scam on society?? It seems everyone has it or are people just snowflakes.
1)Yes, in a lot of instances, PTSD is being used to scam who ever has money to grab..

No, not everyone has it. PTSD is real for some. There are test one can use to TRY to determine if a person had the prerequisites for the development of PTSD. Putting a person thru a test environment that stresses them to the breaking point.. Some would suggest SERE level xxx can and has been use to do just that. BUT it's not a science and results are iffy. A person that passes,, may be a complete psycho..

Snowflakes should not be grouped with individuals with PTSD. One is an environmental problem, the other is a true mental health issue..

Quote:
The officer claims the department made the decision after a doctor found him unfit to return to full duty because of post-traumatic stress disorder.

The department did not confirm Delgado’s claim but Deputy Chief Joseph Jenkins said the department reached an agreement with Delgado to end his employment, the Sentinel's report said.

Delgado was among the first police officers on the scene June 12, 2016, after a gunman killed 49 people and left 68 wounded. He was praised for helping to save the life of Angel Colon, who had been shot several times.

Delgado now suffers from PTSD. A few months after the shooting, he returned to his patrol job but soon had to stop because memories from the bloody nightclub scene haunted him.

“Too many people. God forbid, something happens — I don’t know if I’d be able to react,” Delgado said speaking about being fearful even going to restaurants and bars.

For the last eight months, Delgado has worked a desk job but will be unable to reap the benefits of his pension when he is let go by the end of the month after nearly 10 years on the job.
2) Officer Delgado may be a person that has true(SIC) PTSD, as there is no doubt the he walked in on a horrific scene. And it is now haunting him. Police departments don't have SERE classes..

As one that has experience similar, my condolences to the officer and the rest of his department.

As to the department firing the officer?? Extremely poor judgement on their part. I suspect the PBA will fight for his benefits.

I have a relative that had volunteered for the Boston Marathon aid tent at the finish line. She is an certified ER doctor. She can slice-n-dice, glue & patch with the best.. She has had recurring problems in the last 3+yrs. Fortunately they are mild at this time..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote