View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 20:17   #12
Gene Econ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
So where in there are you expecting to be working?
If you say "all ranges" then welcome to the party. This is why you need to know the bullet drop and the range before you engage a target. It also depends on how surgical are your requirments. Me, I'd zero it at 100 and remember not to shoot any higher than the nose at close targets.
TS:

I find it much easier to know the ordinate given a 300 elevation. About 6" at 160 meters. Go from there with holds until a fellow is under 30 meters and then it is either point of aim or hold about 3 inches higher than the impact location.

I spent a couple of hours on a KD range trying to figure out a true reduced 300yard zero. Closest I got was about 33 yards. I also shot two targets to show trajectory. Zeroed up at 300 pretty solid then shot the targets at 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 160, and 200 as a graphic representation of trajectory of M-855 ball fired from a carbine.

Was pretty neat and if one has not done such a actual test, he will be very surprised at the results. Not what one would envision. It also provides a good challenge to those who are anal about shot placement as there is not a real big vertical spread so basically center hold is just fine from a barrel to 300.

Gene
Gene Econ is offline   Reply With Quote