View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00   #13
Sparty On
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
IMO, Mr. Strobbe and his editor[s] at AP took a sensationalistic approach to the study. Only after grabbing the readers' attention does he point out that Reed herself thinks that a lot more research needs to be done.
I agree, although had he not grabbed readers' attentions, it's possible that fewer people would have continued to read the entire article (including Ms. Reed's caveats). Those caveats are likely the result of Ms. Reed presenting her work to her peers and absorbing their criticisms. Academics can be a hyper-critical bunch.

As an aside, I am always suspicious when the authors of any study (especially when the study's design is a survey) do not include some sort of self-criticism or caveats in their summation/conclusion/discussion. One of the signs of a competent researcher is knowing when further studies are warranted and in my opinion, Ms. Reed is absolutely correct that further studies are warranted.

-- Theodore Roosevelt
Sparty On is offline   Reply With Quote