View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 18:36   #6
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
old town makes a good canoe. A bunch of the smaller canoe companies have went out of business, as the canoe material (royal-x), became really hard to get.

You probably know this already, but in faster water, avoid a keel. Slower water a keel is great to help the wind from blowing you all over the place.

Another good thing about a canoe is you can be a real sturdy seatback, which helps the back immensely during a long day.

That 49-lb canoe would be pretty easy to load and unload yourself.
Interesting tracking this down, found a used Royalex canoe to try tomorrow... 33lbs. I have little experience with canoes, I see your points. In a kayak a skeg is something that came in handy along the coast once for the reasons you mentioned, American kayaks tend more toward rudders from what I have seen.
For those out in the South East, I have always enjoyed this event: https://www.ccprc.com/1542/East-Coas...tdoor-Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I used to have a sit on top kayak I fished out of. My buddy even went shark fishing in his.
The waters below take things to a different level, do you get out on the coast there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La Push 1.jpg (28.9 KB, 14 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote