View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 13:48   #10
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Tom, I would have to respectfully disagree with a couple points. The RATS (for which RE Factor is a distributor) is pretty tough (for me, at least) to self-apply to an upper arm if the affected arm is intact and immobilized--you can quickly see this right now by trying to use your opposite hand to wrap any strap or cord around your upper arm while its hanging 'dead' (unless of course the lower part of your 'affected' arm is missing). If you can adduct your lower arm towards your upper arm, then the wrapping becomes much easier. At that point, you then have to focus on ensuring your wraps are tight enough to occlude arterial flow, there is relatively uniform constriction pressure across the wraps, and each of the wraps is nearly touching the previous wrap to ensure you avoid creating a ligature effect with any single wrap of the 1/2" wide band.

The CAT TQ is pretty easy to self-apply to upper arms and legs, if you set the TQ up 'pre-looped' ahead of time (which is really easy to do and quick to deploy). It only starts to get a little tricky if you have to un-thread the strap out of the single-pass buckle, wrap it around a limb, and then re-thread the strap through the buckle. While this situation is possible, its certainly not the norm.

I think this is hair splitting. I can apply either one of these TQs one handed. EACH has its specific challenges, but both can be applied by the individual at the end of the day. That's not just my sample of 1ea experience, but from watching a group of variously skilled people self apply each one successfully.

While self application is a very real possibility and should be practiced, the reality is that there is a higher chance that you will be applying a TQ to someone else who has been injured and therefore, the small differences mentioned are not mission stoppers IMO.

We seem to forget that at one time we taught TQs by using a drive on rag (cravat) and a tree branch/stick or other object that we were supposed to find in our environment as a means of applying the TQ.....and it generally worked when applied correctly.

Lastly, the RATS has an advantage that the others don't, in that it works on skinny/elderly people, children and even animals ( K9s ), something the standard TQs can have a hard time accomplishing because of their design/size.

Mission dictates ones equipment selection and each of the TQs mentioned are all able to accomplish the same results/ends, so choose the one that best fits your mission profile/circumstances. In some cases, I have seen guys carry a RATS on them or in their IFAK because of its size, but in the larger, dedicated med bag, have several of the larger/bulkier CATS available. Set your kit up in the manner that best suits your mission/circumstances.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote