View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004, 13:33   #3
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

From the Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook (2001).

Circulation: Uncontrolled hemorrhage is the leading cause of preventable battlefield deaths. Rapid identification and effective management of bleeding is perhaps the single most important aspect of the primary survey while caring for the combat casualty.
Obvious external sources of bleeding should be controlled with direct pressure initially followed by a field dressing or pressure dressing. If bleeding is not controlled by the previous measures or if gross arterial bleeding is present, an effective tourniquet should immediately be applied. Clamping of injured vessels is not indicated unless the bleeding vessel can be directly visualized. Blind clamping of vessels may result in additional injury to neurovascular structures and should not be done.

NOTE: The current ATLS manual discourages the use of tourniquets in the pre-hospital setting because of distal tissue ischemia, tissue crush injury at the tourniquet site, which may necessitate subsequent amputation. This admonition is based on the civilian model of trauma care where most penetrating injuries are low velocity in nature and rapid evacuation to a trauma center is available. Withholding the use of tourniquets on the battlefield for patients with severe extremity hemorrhage may result in additional death or injury that might have otherwise been prevented.
---
NDD note - if you have a Palm and don't have this book in it, you should get it. It is searchable and you can cut and paste to memo and print. It is an absolutely excellent tool. The only complaint that I have is that the images don't show up on mine - the anatomy plates, etc. Small price to pay to have this reference in my hands at all times. No, I'm not telling you where I got mine. The dude did me a favor and I won't abuse him. If you seek, you shall find.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote