Thread: 12 Strong
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 11:21   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Agree, but with SEAL technical advisors what'd ya expect?
You have to understand where Officers stand in the Navy/Marine Corps...there is no NCO Corps in those services with the authority that NCO's have in the US Army and especially in SF.

I did not get this until I was CSM of a Joint Unit...even SEALs don't get our position.

They still have separate beach's at R&R Naval facilities...enlisted/Warrant/O's...you do not mix.

I often wondered why 'Gunny's run the Corps'....now why the hell would an E7 run the Corps? When a Marine makes E8 they move him from his primary MOS to a 1SG/supervisory position in another MOS...an Infantry 1SG in an Aviation unit.

Why, they say for 'crossbreeding' but the real reason is they don't want a 1SG with more knowledge than his CO...they want the 1SG to be simply an administrator and that is what he is reduced too....samo in the Navy.

The Gunny's run the 'tactical' or 'technical' elements because the 1SG is clueless about the nuts and bolts......he is a admin guy just like the CO wants.

Visiting a MC GO once with my Commander, also a GO....they were in the MC Go's office with the door open....I was with the MC SGM...
I walked into the office as I normally would....the MC SGM stopped at the threshold and waited for permission to enter.

I was freakin shocked....and embarresed for him.

BTW, I was on 595......about 40 years ago
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote