Thread: 12 Strong
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I think one needs to realize,, IT'S HOLLYWOOD..

Everyone that I have read or talk to say:

1)It is O centric,, most blame the use of SEAL's as consultants, The NCO's are not factually represented. SF NCO's are different and they didn't show the complexities of a team.

2)The movie deviates from the book, which deviates from reality, It happens all the time,, BUT it's acceptably close to real..

here is one comparison:
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/12-strong/

Example:

Quote:
Did Mark Nutsch carry a piece of steel with him from the World Trade Center?

Not exactly. The 12 Strong movie has Chris Hemsworth's character (Mark Nutsch in real life) being given the candy-bar-sized piece of metal by Colonel Mulholland. In Doug Stanton's book Horse Soldiers, it was Colonel Max Bowers, portrayed by Rob Riggle, who brought a piece of steel with him from the World Trade Center to Afghanistan. Payback was certainly on the minds of some members of the team, while others focused primarily on the mission at hand. In the book, Bowers had planned to give the piece of metal to Afghan General Dostum and warlord Atta Muhammad Noor, if needed, to bind them in their common fight against the Taliban.

Later, several months after the Taliban fell, the special operations teams returned to Mazar-i-Sharif to bury the piece of the World Trade Center. They placed it in a body bag and lowered it into the ground. Images of them doing this can be seen below and in Alex Quade's short documentary Horse Soldiers of 9/11. (c video @ 6:30 point)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTSsMKfL2c

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 01-24-2018 at 10:54.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote