View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 19:56   #17
Basicload
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Guru
Basic,
Is there a quick way to get the handguards off, with no tools, etc? Or is it a more involved process. I was just wondering if it can easily be done in the field.
Yeah its totally easy. you use any flathead screw driver OR the locking lugs of your bolt (as shown by HK) and un screw the single screw on the handguard. The 417 will have two screws, one above and one below the barrel.

HK promises (and I have seen nothing to refute their claims) that removal and replacement of the handguards will not shift Point of Impact (POI) more than 1 MOA for any laser (or optic if you are a Seal) that is mounted on the handguard. Also since the handguard is a single shroud, there is no interference with your pressure switches on your top mounted laser that might be routed down to your forward hand grip.

So I was pretty much told in Armorer's course that I was a puss for not taking my handguard off for fear of jacking up my PEQ-2A/ATPIAL zero.

I've got a picture of RGR Gordo taking one apart downrange floating around on my work lap top. I'm on vacation now, but I'll find it when I get a chance and see about posting it.